By Meghan Tizzano, Community Emergency Preparedness AmeriCorps Member at Jersey Cares.
With the warm weather starting to make an appearance and calendars being marked for vacations, it’s important to keep in mind some safe tips to ensure your family has a memorable and enjoyable summer vacation. Whether you are traveling to the beach for the weekend or across the country for a month long trip, there are simple things you can do to be prepared for any type of emergency along the way.
Here are a few quick tips to make sure you’re ready to enjoy that summer breeze!
- Pack an emergency kit for your car (jumper cables, flashlights, first aid kit, water, basic toolkit, blankets, and a fully charged cell phone)
- Always keep your gas tank full
- Battery is in good condition and terminals are clean
- Check oil level and filter and change if necessary
- Make sure head lights and flashing hazards work properly
If you are knowledgeable about cars, volunteer to help out your elderly neighbors and offer to take a look at their cars as well!
If you’re traveling to New Jersey for the summer, check out our monthly calendar and register for an opportunity during your vacation here!! It’s a great way to connect with the community you’re spending time in during your stay.
And remember, DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE! If you need to use your cell phone for any reason, please pull over to a safe spot off of the road.