We Didn’t Start the Fire!

Cooler weather is creeping in, bringing warmer clothes and a need for heating sources. And with the need for heat comes the risk of fire.

Most home fires occur in the kitchen and are the leading cause of fire-related injuries. At night, discarded cigarettes, sparks from fireplaces without screens and heating appliances left unattended cause most fires. These fires can be especially dangerous since they are often left to smolder for a long period of time before being discovered.fire prevention

Fortunately, you can minimize your risk of a home fire with a few easy projects:

  • Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
  • Distribute electrical extension cords and appliances wisely; never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
  • Move combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.
  • Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
  • Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
  • Make sure any fire (fireplace or otherwise) is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.

For more information about preventing a home fire and what to do if you are in a fire, visit http://www.ready.gov/home-fires.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s